Monday 23 May 2011

Day Four!

Had some company walking today which was great - Richard felt fit enough to walk the 20.5 miles from Carreg-y-big to Buttington. We started out at 0740 and were immediately walking hunched forward into driving rain again, and that really set the scene for the day with only a couple of hours of rain free walking out of the ten it took

It was a day of two halves, the first 10 miles we encountered plenty of hill and woodland walking, whereas the last ten miles was flat as a pancake along the Montgomery canal and the Severn flood barrier.

Simon walked out to meet us and the three of us walked to our destination from Four Crosses. An interesting highlight for Richard and I was encountering the biggest Hereford bull I've ever seen, and as we ran up the Dyke to get away from it (I don't have to run quicker than the bull, just quicker than Richard!) we were set upon by a swarm of horseflies. As we ran screaming from the field, I shouted to Richard, 'Where did those bloody things come from?' to which he replied, 'I think they came out of my pants!' Wow!

Anyway, that's 70miles under the belt. I think I'm doing tomorrows 20 miles on my own, with Richard and Simon carting some of my heavier stuff on the bus to Newcastle on Clun.

We're just having something to eat in the pub where we're camping-I've done all my hand washing and hung everything on the fence near a herd of goats-Simon's convinced they'll have been ate when we get back!

Anyway, I think Simon and Richard are going to add their bit tonight, so I'll sign off for now. Please keep tuning in to the blog and please encourage everyone you know to make a sponsorship pledge-it's for a great cause and I promise you we're earning it!

Russ

Location:Buttington

4 comments:

  1. Glad to her you are keeping up with the domestic duties!

    It must be a sight seeing all that wollen underwear on the fence!

    Great work by everyone we're still thinking of you and every step.

    Hazel xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris and I thought of you as we drove up to (and back from) Leeds in first a howling gale, then torrential rain. At least you didn't have juggernaut spray to contend with! WE're all thinking of you, and willing you all on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well they say goats will eat anything!! That's if it hasn't all blown away!!

    Hope the weather is better tomorrow.

    Well done to all of you.
    Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it's any consolation half of Edinburgh is beneath fallen trees - the winds have been that bad everywhere.

    Wish I could have been a fly on the wall when you and Richard ran screaming!!

    The forecast is much better for the next two days you'll be pleased to know.

    Half way there tomorrow, good luck to you all I'll be thinking about you. Hope the pants were still there when you got back to the tent. xxx

    ReplyDelete