Friday 27 May 2011

I Can See the Sea!

What a boost today - as I bounded enthusiastically along Hatterrall Ridge (I'll come to that in a moment) nestled in the distant mountains, I caught a glimpse of the Severn Estuary - our goal! Having pounded along with bruised and blistered feet, nursing a pulled thigh muscle, I simply couldn't contain myself - I jumped up and down and literally whooped for joy! Simultaneously, a troop of soldiers, who had been hidden in the gorse and heather unbeknown to me leaped out and asked if I was okay! After the other day's escapade I couldn't believe it. Embarrassed, I explained myself and they smiled and decided to take a ciggy break. Simon and Richard told me later that the taxi driver had said the SAS were training on Hatterrall Ridge today. Boy were those guys lucky I was a bit stiff this morning, jumping out on me like that! For those who think I'm joking, I took a photo of these guys to prove my point!

So, for the first time in 8 days, I saw the sea - I'm not a big fan generally, but I have to say it looked beautiful in the early morning light.

I left Hay on Wye at 0730 and embarked on the slow and steady climb up Hay Bluff. The climb took over two hours, but was worth every minute. As you round the final turn, amongst the bracken, Heather and wild ponies, you are presented with a view that only the expletive, 'F@&k me!' does justice to - it was mind-blowing. I've always had a passion for mountains - I was raised in them in a small and remote valley in mid Wales - but this was something special. At 2200 feet in the early morning mist, the sun patiently teasing it's way through the cloud cover and with only a gentle breeze to speak of, it was a moment to remember - probably the most poignant moment of the walk for me - so I stood and thought about my Dad and cried.

Hatterrall Ridge is the most majestic of walks, particularly on a day as lovely as this and so I spent the next four hours strolling aimlessly along it's whaleback and simply taking it all in. To the right of the ridge sits Wales, with it's rugged mountains and dark peaks, to the left, England and it's rolling hills and patchwork of fields and hedges - truly, it was a wonderful day's walking.

Eighteen miles later, I descended into the village of Pandy in Monmouthshire where Simon and Richard had just been dropped off by the taxi and we had a beer together before pitching our tents.

We're camping at a pub called the Rising Sun which I highly recommend for it's cuisine - I had the belly pork and it was delicious.

So that's it for today, I'm 141 miles into the adventure with only 38 miles and two days to go. Tomorrow's walk takes me to the picturesque town of Monmouth on the river Monmow - and do you know what - I can't wait.

Russ.

Location:Abergavenny,United Kingdom

5 comments:

  1. What a fantastic moment that must have been for you.... I have read every blog and each day they just take my breath away! The way you all describe the scenery, etc, it certainly puts you right there with you.. and everyone is!!
    Enjoy your evening beverages, and have a great day tomorrow
    AJ & H

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take it that the camera has dried out now if you took piccies of the SAS! I bet they were as surprised at you jumping up and down like a lunatic, as you were when they jumped out at you!

    Mind you I don't blame you jumping up and down you have done incredibly well especially considering your injuries.

    Your Dad would be really proud of you - we all are.

    Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey you! What an eventful day you've had - 'Beside the seasiiiiide, beside the sea' :) bet you sang that song to yourself - I'll put money on it!

    36 or so miles left - it's almost time to cue the inspirational music (But not quite!) You're nearly there lovely, power through for your dad. I'm sure he's incredibly proud of you right now xx The fact that you cried speaks more than any words could - it's made me cry just reading that you cried!

    On a lighter note - can't wait to see your re-enactment of you realising that you had an audience when you were jumping around like a twat. :-D

    Not far now Abey.

    Fooey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A final few words from me as we leave for Cornwall tomorrow (are we there yet?).
    Sorry we can't be home for your triumphant return but I'm sure there will be tales to tell for years to come!
    I can certainly feel a WAFTA coming on for some reason or another..knowing Dickie's wicked sense of humour it will probably be for the support crew and not the bloke who pratted about walking :)
    Best foot forward for the "few" remaining miles.
    Love Alix
    ps next time can I tag along it'll be worth it for the chocolate cake for breakfast!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Homeward bound - hurrah!!

    I guess being starved of conversation all day every day does make you do strange things and I've always said you couldn't find anything, even if it was under your nose - those poor SAS - you really should write and apologise for frightening them. :-)

    Russ you've always been a thinker and have took a long time to decide what to do in memory of your dad - I never for one moment thought you'd not make it or would give up. Despite injury and poor weather and exhaustion you've soldiered (pardon the pun) on!

    I'm so proud, just two more sleeps before you're home and so is Lol - life will be perfect again.

    Dawn xxx

    ReplyDelete