Wednesday 15 May 2013

Sun, Showers, Tearooms and Cat Bells

So no wifi or phone signal for any of us last night-how much we've grown to expect these luxuries as the norm and how maddening it is when we can't have them! So it's 2 posts tonight covering yesterday and today. 

The campsite at Stonethwaite was in a lovely location, completely surrounded by mountains and we were fortunate enough to have a lovely sunny evening to enjoy it in. We dined in a pub called the Scafell Hotel in Rosthewaite-the miserable sods had wifi in the hotel but wouldn't give us the password-how mean is that-we must have spent the best part of 150 quid between us-wont be going back there!

Today's walk was a real variety of scenery-farmland, woodland, mountains and lakes culminating with our arrival in Keswick. A few showers through the day ensured we kept on our toes and the poncho came on and off a few times, but there was never anything that really threatened to get us really wet. We walked along the banks of the Derwent before climbing up the Borrowdale valley past disused slate mines and through lush, rain dampened woodland-the smell of a wet forest is just amazing. We stopped off at a quaint little tearoom in Grange before tackling the biggest challenge of the day, a climb up Cat Bells and one of the best views you could ever wish to see. I hope my photos go someway to doing it justice. We had a break on the top of the mountain to enjoy the view and to get some grub down us. I cooked Spaghetti Carbonara (how posh am I?) on my camp stove (the eagle eyed among you may have noticed on my earlier blog that I cooked pasta in a tomato and mascarpone sauce yesterday!) Then, reluctantly, we made our way down the mountain and through the town of Keswick to our campsite right on the banks of Derwent Water-truly stunning. The RAF kindly bombed us a few times with Hawk fighters whilst we were setting up our tents-Wow! I almost s*#t my shorts!! 

So, tomorrow is a rest day in our itinerary and we remain unsure as to how to spend it. If its fine weather, a few of us, me included, intend to climb Skiddaw-a 3000ft beast that provides a dramatic backdrop to Keswick itself. If its unsettled, then a  morning mooch around the shops and an afternoon amble around the lake (about 9 miles) is probably more likely. 

Hope you like the pics and apologies in advance for the one of me in my woolly hat! 



4 comments:

  1. I'm so very, very jealous as today you've been walking in 'MY' favourite part of the lakes. Your pics just give me that warm feeling - it's like being home - somewhere safe and comfortable. How anyone can compare Derbyshire to The Lakes is beyond me!! Although, I do have to say that because of necessity I've also grown to love Derbyshire.

    Hope you continue to have luck with the weather I'm so very jealous but only 41 more sleeps until I'll be there too - yay :-D

    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!!! Have to agree with dawn - the lakes is home from home for me too. I spent so much time there growing up - it's breathtaking and as amazing as your pics are it just doesn't do it justice :-)

    Check you out with your carbonara :-D who knew that camping could be so posh! Well impressed.

    Sun is shining here this morning - hope you get some thunthine too - have a great day! Xx

    Ps you're looking a treat in your wooly hat :-D ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely spot for a pic-a-nic!! We need a picture of everyone in their silly hats please!! Question - How come everyone seems to have downsized their rucksacks yet Richard seems to be carrying a house on his back. What has he got in there???
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a feeling you're going to regret asking that one Kate :-D x

    ReplyDelete