Saturday 28 May 2011

Support Team Report - Day Nine

A hearty breakfast was eaten by myself and Simon in the Rising Sun in Pandy that set us ready for the day of lugging extra weight around on the buses all day.

We had to catch the bus to Abergavenny to find out what to do next which turned out to be a two hour wait for the bus to Monmouth. I said to Simon "oh well, it's all relative. We would only be sat in a pub at the other end". I can't print Simons response but it was not encouraging.

One hair raising bus ride later and we were ejected into the centre of Monmouth. We walked over the medieval bridge and low and behold there was Russ spinning around trying to get his bearings.

At the campsite we set up our tents. Simon went to reccy the town whilst Russ slept and I went for a shower. When I returned to the tents Russ was sat with two fine looking ladies. They turned out to be his sister and niece.

Simon arrived later with a pack of pistachios and bottle of red wine which the three of us thoroughly enjoyed in Simons tree house.

Richard.

Having spent relentless research in the bar at Pandy, I found our only route to Monmouth was via Abergavenny. Arriving in "The bus station" we found we had about 2 hours to wait!!

I tried to amuse Richard by using different fractions for how long was left but he was having none of it. He mentioned imperial measures being ridiculous but its not my fault there are 1760 yards in a mile and fractions go down to 64ths! Taxis are the answer even if they cost twice the price for half the time, apparently.

As support I only thought it proper to buy a celebratory bottle and nibbles for the last night. Well done Russ.

Simon.

Location:Monmouth

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the posts guys, you've kept me thoroughly entertained and had me laughing out loud on occasions.

    Helping to lighten Russ's load and being there at the end of each day has, I know helped Russ immensely.

    I hope the travel sickness hasn't been too bad Richard and without you this blog couldn't have been updated each evening so thank you for that.

    Simon I look forward to reading your public transport guide to 'Offa's Dyke' - I'm sure it'll have the additional chapters on food and drink!!

    Oner more sleep and your time'll be done. See you both tomorrow.

    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda Holyoak28 May 2011 at 23:17

    You both had me laughing out loud. Richard for thinking Simon wouldn't want more pub time and Simon with his talk of fractions - so very you :-))
    Have loved your posts but can't wait for you to get home.
    Enjoy your last day, and less talk of "lovely ladies" remember you do have a wife at home!!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the reports have been very entertaining and I am sure there are lots more stories to tell. I look forward to hearing them when you get back.

    Have a good last day and see you on Monday.
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete