Wednesday 30 May 2012

What sort of twonk would pitch their tent on an ants nest?....

.....well me actually. I'm covered from head to toe in bites! I'll come back to that though.

What a fantastic time we had courtesy of the Sandysike campsite and camping barn - an absolute must for any Wall through-hiker. Their hospitality was second to none and the full English this morning was simply heavenly. We shared our two dining experiences with six lads from the Met who were hiking the wall in the opposite direction - to be honest I think Richard scared them. Regardless, Andrew got a tenner off one of them this morning for Zoe's Place, so that's more towards the total.

We set off into a drizzly morning and thought perhaps it was set for the day. Fortunately we were wrong-it only lasted half an hour and then we were back to our customary sweltering sunshine. We spotted the BBC forecast later in the day though and apparently it's going to pour down tomorrow. Can't grumble though-we've been blessed with the most wonderful weather for a walk in northern England.

Today's route took us through lowland farms-predominantly grazing land for cattle and sheep before eventually joining the river which meandered its way into and through the city of Carlisle. Our assorted injuries made us look as comical as ever as we limped our way along the trail. Once again we came across a few 'honesty' refreshment stops-ranging from a box balanced on a tree stump containing drinks, sweets and chocolate, to full ornate summer houses complete with fitted kitchens and huge glass fronted fridges containing a massive range of confectionery for the hungry hiker. I think they they are a wonderful contribution to the trail by trustworthy trail supporters and long may they continue.

Aside from the couple of stops we had at these honesty stops, we also had a refreshment stop at the Sands leisure centre at Carlisle, where we would have stopped in any event to get our passports stamped. As ashamed as I am to say this, my eyes were immediately drawn away from the healthy menu full of salad this and cous cous that-and I saw the words 'Chips and curry sauce' on the specials board-I couldn't resist. That, followed by home made carrot cake and a pot of tea and off I waddled, a contented, limping hiker back on the trail. The fact that my fellow hikers called me names like 'fatboy' and 'porker' didn't worry me in the slightest. I couldn't give the tiniest s**t-I was happy.

So, we eventually reached West View campsite just outside Carlisle at about 4.30pm and proceeded to jockey for position for the one shower. It's still really muggy, but the storm clouds are gathering. Ah well.

So back to the ants. I actually said to the lads that knowing my luck I'd probably pitch my tent on an ants nest. Would you believe it?! I bloody did. I must have 60 bites without exaggeration.

So here we are in the Museum pub in Carlisle, great food and beer and it's Tim's birthday-happy birthday-you don't look a day over 50!!

Enjoy the photos.

Russ







6 comments:

  1. Great to see pictures of all the lads walking aswell as the views. I like the last photo:)

    Hope your bites aren't troubling you too much

    Well done everyone and Happy Birthday Tim.

    Love Hazel
    xxxxxx

    PS tell Simon no news on the baby front - yet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda Holyoak30 May 2012 at 20:19

    Happy Birthday Tim.

    Great to hear your news, keep going nearly there.

    I assume Richard started talking technical and it was this that scared your fellow walkers!

    Looking forward to seeing you home on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Tim. I hope the others bought you a cake and sang to you - a nice Happy Birthday song not a rude one!!!

    Hope you packed some anti-histamines to help with the itching Russ - what with the midges and the ants I can imagine it's pretty uncomfortable.

    Hope the compeed's are safely attached and not floating in the shower tonight!!

    Hope you have a lovely day tomorrow, will miss the blogs.

    See you all on Friday night.

    Kate
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Tim! Hope you had a good day and the boys bought the beer in for you at the pub.

    Russ you really are a twonk lol :-D Oh dear, hope you have appropriate relief with you and I hope you did a very careful inspection before selecting tonight's spot for you tent :-)

    More lovely pics and good luck on the last leg :-)

    Becky x

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS I thought the moles were someone's socks out to dry off in the sun! Must admit, I did think it was a bit weird that you took a photo of that... Not that taking photos of a washing line of dead moles is less weird of course... x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wassack!! Have you seen that many hills you assumed your tent was just perched on another one - must itch like mad - bless.

    The girlies loved having a wave at you and listening to your tales tonight, although they were a bit disconcerted by the inside of your ear every other minute ;-)

    Hoping you and your buddies are all geared up for your last hike tomorrow - it must be downhill now??

    It feels like you've all been gone for forever but at the same time because of the blog and face time you feel closer than you actually are if that makes sense.

    Loved the pics - especially the arty ones and I know for every one uploaded to the blog there'll be another ten stored to add when you get home.

    Sleep tight - it really does put another meaning on my 'mind the bed bugs don't bite' too late eh?!

    Dawn xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete